The Bode Museum was designed by the architect Ernst von Ihne; the construction was completed in 1904. Originally called the Kaiser-Friedrich-Museum after Emperor Frederick III, the museum was renamed in honor of its first curator, Wilhelm von Bode, in 1956. Closed for repairs since 1998, the museum was reopened on October 18, 2006. It is now the home for a collection of paintings, sculptures, Byzantine art, and coins and medals. This medal was minted on the occasion of the reopening in 2006.